Externalities of Waste Dis-amenities, Benefit Transfer Application on Piyungan and Putri Cempo Landfill, Indonesia
Waste is a national problem in Indonesia. It is related to the old paradigm of waste management, which is only collected, transported, and disposed to the landfill. The same problem occurs in some big cities in Java. Landfills use open dumps, and that causes an increase in negative externalities in the quality of the environment for people who live nearby. This study aims to analyze the externalities of the Piyungan landfill. The objects of this research are the people who lived around the dump. Cost of illness and replacement cost are analysis tools to calculate the externalities. Benefit transfer is used to analyze the externalities ofthe Putri Cempo landfill in Surakarta. The benefit transfer method was developed as an alternative way to value externalities using values from studies of similar circumstances, carried out at related sites somewhere else, given the challenges and high costs inherent in assessing the actual price. Accurately, to test the performance of the benefit transfer method, this study focused on estimates of externalities associated with waste dis-amenities. The results indicate that the existence of the Piyungan landfill has a negative influence on the economic and social aspects as well as the environment of the people around it. It also happens in the Putri Cempo Landfill.
- Barbera, M. 2012, Towards an Economic Valuation of the Hauraki Gulf: A Stock-take of Activities and Opportunities November 2012 Technical Report: 2012/035 Auckland Council Technical Report TR2012/035 ISSN 2230-4525 (Print) ISSN 2230-4533 (Online) ISBN 978-1-927216-15-6 (Print) ISBN 978-1-927216-16-3 (PDF)
- Dinas Lingkungan Hidup Kabupaten Bantul, 2018, Hingga 2018, DLH Bantul Telah Bangun 51 TPS 3R, Tribunjogja.com,https://jogja.tribunnews.com/2019/01/06/hingga2018-dlh-bantul-telah-bangun-51-tps-3r?
- Dinas Lingkungan Hidup Kota Surakarta, 2018, Data Volume Sampah Per Bulan Kota Surakarta Tahun 2017, https://dlh.surakarta.go.id/new/?p=ss&id=436
- Eshet T., Baron M. G., Shechter M., and Ayalon, O., 2006. Exploring Benefit Transfer: Dis-amenities of Waste Transfer-Stations, Environmental & Resource Economics, DOI 10.1007/s10640-006-9047-6
- John Loomis, 2006, Estimating Recreation and Existence Values of Sea Otter Expansion in California Using Benefit Transfer, Coastal Management, 34:387–404, 2006 Copyright © Taylor & Francis Group, LLC ISSN: 0892-0753 print / 1521-0421 online DOI: 10.1080/08920750600860282
- Krupnick, A.J., 1993. Benefit Transfers and Valuation of Environmental Improvements. Resources Winter (110): PP 1-6
- Nahib, Irmadi. 2011. Mapping of Economic Valuation of Mangrove Forest Using Geographical Information System and Benefits Transfer Method: Case Study on Mangrove Forests in the ALKI II Region. Globe; 13 (1), PP.31-40
- Palmer, Mark L., 2009. Assessing Benefit Transfer for The Valuation of Ecosystem Services Can Play An Important Role In Conversation Planning And Ecosystem-Based Management. Front Ecol Environ; 7(1): P.P. 38–45
- Randall S. Rosenberger Tim T. Phipps, 2002, C.A. Site Correspondence Effects In Benefit Transfers: A Meta-Analysis Transfer Function, Presented at the 2nd World Congress of Environmental and Resource Economists, June 24-27, 2002, Monterey
- Rosenberger, R.S., and J.B. Loomis, 2000. "Using Meta-Analysis for Benefit Transfer: In-Sample Convergent Validity Tests of an Outdoor Recreation Database." Water Resources Research 36(4):1097-1107.
- -----. 2001. Benefit Transfer of Outdoor Recreation Use Values: A Technical Document Supporting the Forest Service Strategic Plan (2000 Revision). General Technical Report RMRS-GTR-72. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 59 p. (http://www.fs.fed.us/rm/pubs/rmrs_gtr72.html).
- -----. 2002, Forthcoming. "Benefit Transfer." In P. Champ, K. Boyle, and T. Brown, eds., A Primer on Non-Market Valuation. Under contract with Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Shrestha, R.K., and J.B. Loomis. 2001. "Testing a Meta-Analysis Model for Benefit Transfer in International Outdoor Recreation." Ecological Economics 39(1):67-83. 21
- Smith, V.K., G. Van Houtven, and S.K. Pattanayak. 2002. "Benefit Transfer via Preference Calibration: 'Prudential Algebra' for Policy." Land Economics 78(1):132-152.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.